The feet support the human body when standing, walking, running, and more. They are complex structures with 26 bones.
- The forefoot contains the five toes (phalanges) and the five longer bones (metatarsals).
- The midfoot is a pyramid-like collection of bones that form the arches of the feet. These include the three cuneiform bones, the cuboid bone, and the navicular bone.
- The hindfoot forms the heel and ankle.
What are the 26 bones in the foot? Illustration of bones in lower leg and foot.
- tibia, fibula.
- tarsus (7): talus, calcaneus, cuneiformes (3), cuboid, and navicular.
- metatarsus (5): first, second, third, fourth, and fifth metatarsal bone.
- phalanges (14)